Goodwill Industries of Northern Illinois is operating its free income tax preparation and filing sites beginning January 27, 2020. Phone lines are now open to take appointments at all sites.
This will be the 11th year that Goodwill offers this service in conjunction with the IRS and the United Way of the Rock River Valley. Goodwill’s tax sites offer free tax preparation and filing to individuals and families with income less than $56,000. Goodwill’s IRS certified volunteer tax preparers will also assist community members in claiming any special credits and deductions for which they may be eligible.
“Our free tax preparation service allows individuals and families to save more of their hard earned income,” states Jason Haller, Financial Programs Manager. “Our participants are then able to make important purchases, pay off debts or save for the future.”
Goodwill’s free tax sites will be hosted at the following locations:
- Rockford Goodwill Mission Services Center – 850 N. Church Street, Rockford, IL
- Monday thru Saturday – 9am to 5pm
- Rock Valley College – Woodward Technology Center – 3301 N. Mulford Rd., Rockford, IL
- Thursdays – 4pm to 8pm
- DeKalb Goodwill Resource Room – 1037 S. Annie Glidden Road, DeKalb, IL
- Mondays and Tuesdays – 2pm to 6pm
- Beloit Public Library – 605 Eclipse Blvd., Beloit, WI
- Select Fridays – 10am to 3:30pm (call for information)
For more information or to schedule an appointment online, go to http://www.goodwillni.org/good-taxes/ or call (815)987-6200.
Goodwill is also offering Federal and State tax filing online through the My Free Taxes Program. For those who would like to complete their own taxes online, free of charge, they can go to https://www.myfreetaxes.com/.
Prairie State Legal Services will be at the Rockford Goodwill location throughout the tax season. For specific dates, call (815) 987-6200.
Last year, Goodwill’s tax sites served 3,360 individuals which saved participants over $590,000 in tax preparation fees.